Miliband: Israel's E1 settlement project is unacceptable and destructive
London, August 20 (Hibya) - UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband criticized the Israeli government's decision to open a tender for a settlement project in the E1 area and called for the process to be halted immediately.
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband described the Israeli government's move regarding the E1 settlement plan as unacceptable and destructive.
Pointing out that the project would cut through the heart of Palestine, Miliband stressed that it risks separating the West Bank from East Jerusalem and directly threatens the viability of a two-state solution. Miliband said the UK has clearly expressed on every platform its opposition to the E1 plan and its support for a two-state solution, the only path to securing lasting peace and security for both Palestinians and Israelis.
Miliband also stated that all settlements undermine this prospect and constitute a clear violation of international law.
Announcing that diplomatic steps had been taken to stop the initiatives, Miliband said: “Today, I made it clear to Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Sa'ar that the Israeli government must immediately halt its E1 plans, withdraw the tender and stop all settlement expansion.”
Sharing details of the diplomatic steps taken, Miliband said: “The Israeli Chargé d'Affaires was also summoned to the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, where we expressed the UK's deep objection to this move by the Netanyahu government and demanded that it be reversed immediately.”
Usa News Agency